Friday, March 12, 2010

The movie comes out on March 19th!



These are exciting times in the Wimpy World... the feature film comes out on Friday, March 19th!

You might've seen billboards or television ads by now. Check out the movie website by clicking here. It's got tons of fun stuff to do, and you can see clips from the film.

Also, check out Cartoon Network's awesome Diary of a Wimpy Kid microsite, where you can see exclusive behind-the-scenes footage!

I've been on a media tour with the two stars, Zach Gordon (who plays Greg) and Robert Capron (who plays Rowley). These are two great kids and they are a load of fun to be around.

I'll be posting from the road in the next few days and telling you about our adventures on this tour. Here are the highlights of what we've done so far.

March 4th: We kicked off the tour in New York City with a special screening for 600 kids in New York. We got interviewed by new Children's Literature Ambassador Katherine Paterson, who wrote classics like Bridge to Terabithia. We got to walk the read carpet and meet fans of the books. It was a blast!

March 5th: We had our big television debut in Boston. We appeared on a few different stations and got to experience the excitement of live television. Then we headed back to the hotel where we sat down for a round of newspaper interviews. Then we visited a school, where the mayor declared it "Diary of a Wimpy Kid Day" in Boston. We started spotting movie posters on billboards and buses, which was really exciting. We started a contest to see who could spot the most ads. As of right now, Zach is winning with nine.

March 6th: We had a day off, which we spent together in my home town. All of our families had a lot of fun over a spaghetti dinner. It was awesome seeing my own kids interacting with these future movie stars. For the record, my four-year-old beat Zach in a game of Super Mario Kart.

March 7th: Back on the road, this time for a Philadelphia Flyers game. They showed the movie trailer on the JumboTron, and we got interviewed as well. Then we signed posters in the lobby. The highlight of the night was when two of the hockey players got in a fight, and one of them seemed more interested in fixing his hair than actually fighting. Zach has been mimicking the guy ever since.

March 8th: We had a round of television and print interviews in our hotel. It was very cool.... they set up a t.v. studio in a ballroom at the hotel, and that's where we did our interviews. Robert told us that he got interested in acting after he memorized lines from Thomas the Tank Engine. Afterwards, we went to the Philadelphia Free Library and met a few hundred enthusiastic fans. We had a great time there.

March 9th: Off to Atlanta. We had a big event at Kid Empowerment Day and played a giant game of Wimpy Kid Says. I have to admit I got tricked and dropped out of the game early. Zach and Robert made it to the bitter end.

March 10th: From Atlanta, we went to Chicago, the Windy City. We did a book signing for about 600 kids in a giant Borders store. It was great to share the signing table with Zach and Robert, who have become pros. The fans were great and we had an awesome time!

March 11th: We did press interviews in our hotel in Chicago, and then I headed back home to Boston. The boys stayed behind for some schooling (ha!). We're all excited to get back together in New York and do this for one more week! Check back in to see what we're up to!

27 comments:

Tarla said...

Hi Jeff. I am currently roaring my way (with laughter) through books 2, 3 and 4. That kid is my son!

jhgvcfdxs said...

My son's school wrote letters to their favorite authors. Many have written back. My son & others are still waiting to hear from you... Please don't disappoint them.

jhgvcfdxs said...

My son and his classmates wrote letters to their favorite authors in the fall. Many authors have written back. My son is still waiting to hear from Jeff. Please write!

Anonymous said...

love the books jeff thanks for writing them

le monde said...

I am a big fan of the series and I loved the last straw and dog days better than the others. I have no kids as I am still very young, but the events that you mention in these two books are the instances that I can relate to, as it reminds me of my childhood days. Looking forward for the next one. Please continue the good work, no pressure :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I am new to series, but i am excited to begin.

Mrs. L. said...

Hi there,
My class would like to read your books. I would love them to have a chance to BLOG on this site and to make comments as we progress through the book.
Mrs. L.

lux said...

Hilarious your books are
i give them a thumbs up

P.S 4th comment

Anonymous said...

I just saw the movie! It was so funny! I hope to see it again and again...well, you get the point!

WimpyKidRocks said...

Jeff I saw your movie! I loved so much! will there be a second one based on the second book?

Fregley: It's GOT HAIR ON IT!!

Kevin said...

Hey, Jeff, I sooooo LOVE your art and writing style! I want to make films when I grow up, and I wanted to make the "Wimpy Kid" movie. Unfortunately, 20th Century Fox beat me to it (ha ha)! But still, I think you should make a lot more books...maybe 50, perhaps?

Kevin said...

Hey, Mr. Kinney! I absolutely LOVE your art and writing style! I think you should make more books...maybe 50, perhaps?

Anyway, I also have a blog operated by Blogger, and I post all the pictures I make and the videos I create. I thought you might be interested in taking a look at my work, and offering some advice, you being an AWESOME artist and all. You don't have to, it was just a suggestion...but it would be cool if you did.

Anyway, good job on the "Wimpy Kid" books. Keep up the good work (I can't wait for the 5th one!)

Anonymous said...

5 Starts! Movie was awesome... but where did the Angie character come from...? Would give 6... if was possible (out of 5 ;D) it's a great book too! When is the 5th book coming out. And will there be another movie?

justin said...

Thats so cool I have all the books!

Kevin said...

Hey, Mr. Kinney! I like your style of writing and drawing! Keep up the good work! Plus, I was wondering if maybe you could visit my blog. I also use Blogger, and I post all my videos and pictures up there. I thought maybe you could give some advice to me, since you're an awesome cartoonist and all. But it was just a thought...you don't have to.

Kevin said...

Sorry, I forgot it had to be approved first before it was posted! Your books rock! And, my blog is called "Kevin's 'Toon World"

Fan from NY said...

Hi, Jeff! I was wondering why it was decided to do a live action movie instead of an animated one?

My kids and I are looking forward to seeing the live movie, but I would have loved an animated one!

Any plans in the future for an animated version of the books? Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff! I have all your books. I am your biggest fan. I read all your books and saw the movie too and loved it. I can't wait for the next book or movie. Thanks for the great adventures.

P.S.My mom says I am a wimpy girl too.

Anonymous said...

I have only read 2 of these books. But my brother has read all of the books and he really likes them. These are great for kids. I LOVE ALL THE BOOKS!!!!

Anonymous said...

i read dog days the first day it was out and finished i love diary of a wipy kid #1 fan ps u should put me in the next movie

Aditi said...

Dear Mr. Jeff Kinney,

I'm so sad that Poptropica is down. Can you try to fix it up ASAP????????????????????


My future of Poptropica depends on you.

Cassie said...

I saw the movie and thought it was great. I just heard that Jeff Kinney is going to be on a local radio station. If you are interested, following is the information to tune in.

Ron Morris' The American Entrepreneur
Thursday, April 8th @ 5pm
Listen Live at www.TAEradio.com

Danielle said...

Omg.....
me and friend went to go see the movie first day it was out and my friend was in a WHEELCHAIR we told him to stay home but no we went.

Anonymous said...

You should make another wimpy kid book, also a movie to fallow on the second book

Anonymous said...

you really inspire me I'm going to write a book about me I'm Raykwan Lewis.I have none of your books but,I'm going to get some.You're really cool.

Anonymous said...

Pangborn elementary would love to have you come to the school.It's in Maryland.

krystal said...

i love your books!